Dunlop or michelin tires ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dunlop or michelin tires ?

Post by 72shovelhead on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:37 am

Well the previous owner of the road king installed a new Michelin commander II on the rear but kept the stock Dunlop D402 around 25K, currently 30344 on it. I have noticed that the mismatched tires does make it handle a little quirky at time when pushing it or on the metal bridges. But my real concern it with overall performance and endurance(miles). The set of Dunlop elite III I have on the 72 Shovelhead which currently has just under 11K miles since they were installed have performed well with the exception that the rear tire is showing wear in the center, front like new. Which is fine for scooting around solo on the shovel. Otherwise okay but considering the type of riding on the road king(wife usually on the back) and putting on the miles I need to reconsider all aspects before swapping either the front or the back to get back on a matched set and the feeling of comfort and safety . So looking to hear from others with more miles on this style of riding and there experience with these tires before making a decision.
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dunlop or michelin tires ?

Post by hayweed on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:48 pm

I have the same setup on the fatboy. Seems to have better traction with the Michelin on the rear. Planning on a new Michelin for the front soon.

P.S. I have the commander II on the rear.

LIFE'S SHORT,RIDE HARD
The older we get, The fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
hayweed
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 72shovelhead on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:00 am

Thanks Hayweed, I like the feel of the Michelin on the rear also but only have put about 3700 miles on the bike with the two different tires. But I can feel a need to match them and know the Dunlop is a hard tire to wear out but have found them to get hard after a while and like riding a solid tire.
72shovelhead
Rear of the Pack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hayweed on Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:42 am

Not sure how many miles I have on the Michelin but its about 1 1/2 years old. Still doing good. The Dunlop on the front is 7 years old and still has tread. I just don't trust it.

LIFE'S SHORT,RIDE HARD
The older we get, The fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
hayweed
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top