Sales taxes??????????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sales taxes??????????

Post by JSteele on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:51 am

I purchased my used bike in August from ES-HD. When i was presented with my bill of sale it listed city sales tax. I explained to John that I lived in the county (Mobile). He said that they have to collect it but the lic. comm. office will just credit the city tax back to me. When I registered the bike in Mobile I was told by the clerk that they do not do that and to take the matter up with the dealer. So, I went and saw John 3 weeks ago. I explained this to him and he said no problem just give my a copy of your registration and he would have the book keeper mail me a check.

That was 3 weeks ago. I called John this morning because I have not recieved the check or a phone call. He explained that the money was paid to the city of Daphne because that is where the bike was sold. What? I purchased a new Hyundai from Eastern Shore Hyundai back in 2008 and i was not charged Daphne city tax. John told me that I would have to take the matter up with the Baldwin County lic. comm. What (again)? He never told me before that the tax was paid to Daphne. He knew that I lived in Mobile on the day I signed the papers and when I inquired as to why he was charging me city tax but never told me this.

Am I confused? I thought on motor vehicles that you pay the taxes to the city, state, county that you are registering the vehicle in.

This may sound petty but I don't like being jerked around either. Any thoughts?
JSteele
Bent Wheel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sales taxes??????????

Post by hayweed on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:09 am

You should have been charged tax based on where you live. You should have paid MOBILE COUNTY tax. Not Daphne tax. But depending on the tax rate you may have come out cheaper. All I can say is they got you. It's not worth the time (IMHO) to go after them for the money.

LIFE'S SHORT,RIDE HARD
The older we get, The fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
hayweed
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JSteele on Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:11 am

I am not in the city limits so I should not pay city tax. But, I know your right Hayweed. I'll spend more time than it's worth chasing this. I'm just venting right now.
JSteele
Bent Wheel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:56 pm

It must suck being you right now
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:57 am

I dunno about Alabama, but in Louisiana, when I bought my Harley the shop was in the city limits and they charged city tax. But when I bought edera her Vulcan, that shop was just outside the city limits and so, no city tax. At least there, it goes by the selling place of business. Which does make sense, as any place that sells stuff gets charged city tax within city limits. Walmart, gas stations, etc.

And as far as I know, Daphne actually extends clear on up to Lowes and the ATT store at least, they are considered Daphne, any place south of I-10. So I would check your papers from Hyundai because they are in Daphne limits. Or perhaps they paid for them as a selling incentive.

Yes it still sucks, but I know from Louisiana that it is usually the place of sale, not the residence, unfortunately.
Dragon
Obsessive Member

View user profile http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:12 am

I paid Daphne city tax when I bought mine, then when I got my plate paid Baldwin County tax.
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top