Anyone good with woodworking?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone good with woodworking?

Post by Dragon on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Simple thing. For work, I need a box made. About 3 feet high, 3 feet wide and two feet deep with a small lock box on the front to drop money in. A round hole in the top for people to reach into.

It's a "Poster Grab Box." People drop two dollars into the lock box (all proceeds for charity ) reach in, and grab a random movie poster.

I don't have a circular saw anymore or pretty much any woodworking stuff. My budget for this is zero but I did get approved for the materials costs. So, cheap, built to last and to be sure it will not splinter any customers is all I was told. geek
Dragon
Obsessive Member

View user profile http://www.wind-therapy.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone good with woodworking?

Post by hayweed on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:41 pm

Give crispy a call he may be able to give you a hand.

LIFE'S SHORT,RIDE HARD
The older we get, The fewer things seem worth waiting in line for.
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
hayweed
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:53 pm

I got a bunch of old pieces of wood I'm needing to get rid of, lot's of Saws, I probably have a hasp or two, too. I'm cleaning my yard today and after work all week, I'd sure be glad to get rid of some stuff for a good cause. If crispy don't pan out, let me know.
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:58 pm

Well scadoodle, if you have enough that you could throw together a box to donate, that would be awesome. And work very well with my zero budget,lol.
Since we are neighbors ( I am in Daphne ) it might also be easier to coordinate, since Crispy is allll they way out in the boondocks of Saraland,lol.

The charity has not been set just yet, but it is always a good one. 100% is donated to a worthy cause and we run several events for it. Last one was Will Rogers Institute.

http://www.wrinstitute.org/
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:42 pm

I have to drag out my saws anyway, I'll start putting it together, I'm thinking about a 6 inch hole for the reach in, I've got two hasps. Do you want the money slot at the top or on the side. I just about got it figured out both ways.
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:51 am

If you want to make the top an openable lid, you could mount the money box inside a top right or left corner and put the slot in the lid. Use the hasps for the hinges and then all I think we would need is a lock hasp and a lock.

But if you need anything else, just get it from Home Depot, I will cover it and turn the receipt in and get repaid. Really really appreciate the help. Smile
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:00 am

Yeah I think that one big lid would be the best, I believe I have two hasps and two keyed alike locks. I'll know for sure this evening. That way getting the posters in would be easier. I'm going to try a 4 1/2" or 5" hole 6 is going to be too big unless you got gorilla's grabbing for posters
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Yeah, just big enough for a good sized mans hand is great. Figure most will be kids and teens anyway. Smile
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:54 pm

What's my time frame on this, I'm looking to have it done this week end or do you need it sooner?
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:31 pm

This week end is no problem. No big rush on it. Very Happy
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:13 pm

I going to take the wood to work and cut it there. IT will be faster, do you need it painted?
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Sure, if ya have the paint. Was gonna spray bomb it white, then make up some slogan or sign and put it on the front.
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:06 pm

I'll get it white, maybe a little graphics, I got a bunch of paint to get ride of too.
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:08 am

Schweeet. Very Happy
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:58 pm

I was going to drag the wood to work to cut it , we have one guy storing a very old table saw there and said we could use it any time. (he's like a small wig). But damn riding that station wagon to mobile in this nice weather. I am going to a friends house down the street from me after work tomorrow to cut the wood, he's got a really nice table saw, I'll have it together this week end for sure. I grounded my self till my yard is clean. I put it off to long. I'll do a few short runs, maybe a midnight cruise, or a long way home. No all Dayers, at least that's what I keep telling myself. I leave the Slogan-sign thing mostly to you I've got AutoCAD at work and can print 11 x 17. I'll have to check my ink, I'm not sure if I have a color cartridge or not.
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:30 am

Nah, dont worry about the sign, I can get Office Max to print and laminate a sign for cheap anyway. Will probably get bigger than that anyway. People gotta SEE it.... Very Happy I will be workin fri and sat night after 6, otherwise it may have to be tuesday, the schedule Gods smiled on me and I actually got two days in a row off ( affraid ) so we are gonna try to go off someplace for a mini vacation. Wink
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:31 pm

Got the wood cut yesterday, the bottom is built, I'm putting the lid on in a bit. I am making the money box removable so it's easier to get the money out. It will be on the inside front. It's about 37 to 38 inches inside ,I figured it would be best so the posters can move around a bit. It's coming out good, strong but not strong enough to sit on, sorry. I also put like legs on it, I got carried away, it's about 40" high, do I need to trim it. Once I get the lid on I'll figure the hole and snap a pic.
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:02 am

[img][/img]

I' had a delma to solve after lunch, put me behind, then I run out of screws, It's like 42" high, I'm going to cut the legs down. I be back at it tomorrow. I've got to put in the money box, cut the grab hole, and put on the hasps. You may have to get locks, I could find them. I may have lent them to some one, got them back and put them where I can't find them. Hope your mini Va ca is good. I'll keep you posted. Later
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:25 am

Well, it needs to be a couple inches higher than a poster is wide (rolled up like they are ) at least so like you said, they can move around a bit. Didn't want to go much higher though, as I figure kids might get into being able to "fish in the box" and such. Wikipedia says the standard is 27w X 40h, I never thought to measure one,lol.

But it looks like an awesome box, you put some serious work into it. Very much appreciated. Very Happy
Dragon
Obsessive Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:14 am

I'm going to cut some off the legs, it's about 37" inside, It was fun. Thanks. I found my locks. this morning.
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:26 am

That does look good. Very Happy
weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:58 pm

Shoot, thanks Weird Beard, coming from you that's special, but after going to your web site I want to sell all my wood tools and Deni I ever did anything with wood. I'm a good proto type maker. It did come out good, The paints drying. I suffer from perfectionist issues, If it don't come out perfect, I beat myself mentally to the point I want to go out in my drive way and stone myself, even though I know It just has to look good. Most of the time unless your in a contest or some jealous butt head want to try to make himself look good, people don't look at something that close. I've got to start wearing a mask when I paint. I shot the first coat with a gun, and the paint is about 25 years old, the only thinner I had left was some environmentally friendly stuff, that my wife brought home when I sent her to the store to get thinner, so i couldn't get it right, so the second coat, I found a sponge roller that lasted just long enough to coat the thing. I got a touch up gun I've been wanting to play with, I may try some graphics before the fumes where off.
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdbeard on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Building a box sounds like the most simple task, but its takes some joinery skills to do it well. It can be a lot of work. Especially if you don't have a big shop full of tools setup and ready to go. You dun good. Very Happy

weirdbeard
Leading the Pack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:43 am

Thanks Dude
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scadoodle on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Dagon it's white and dry. I'll put the hasps on Thursday. Date night tomorrow night, Wife and I are coming to see Rise of the planet of the apes. I have and Explorer I can stick in the back of Fridayish, I may work and I may not. I've got a chance for overtime if I want it and they fix my computer. Some time this week end I'm pushing for 500 miles, I'm struggling to turn 70,000. I still may try some graphic thing if I end up off.
Scadoodle
Road Captain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top